9:55 PM | Author: kaushik
Another nothing day at work. No ideas at all. Got a book to read on Supply Chain. Read the first two chapters. It was a B-School book, so there was lot of jargon, but hardly any mathematics or anything related to optimization, which can help the reader to understand how to optimize a supply chain.

The past week has been such. I do not know what to do with my work. My simulations have been stuck at an optimization which is too slow. I tried trouble shooting, but no help. Read the chapters on Quadratic programing and constrained optimization, yet no light. Cannot do anything else, because, more complicated examples and situations will also be slow. Have to find out why.

Because I have been vetti, have been thinking about my career. Most of the time, I am stuck between a corporate career, mainly in a Management Consulting firm (that is, if they take me) and an academic career.

Will write about it later.

Made capsicum-potato-aloo-murungakai sambhar and beans kari for dinner today. Had gotten back home early today, and thus had time to kill. Decided to cut the frozen beans into tinier pieces, like amma does it. And put some coconut into the kari, like amma does. The coconut, as it got hot, gave such a lovely aroma, and it released a slight taste of coconut oil, which mixed with the beans, and made the beans kari taste totally awesome. The sambhar was good too. Packed the same thing for lunch tomorrow too :)

Well, I have decided to do some boring coding, and compare a few methods that I have been playing with. The last thing, that I tried, works the best. But, with numbers to support it, I will have some decent thing to talk to my adviser. And, with the optimization taking a lot of time, I can spend the next two days with this. Maybe, we will talk to an optimization guru to find out about the trouble, and I get to go to the next part of my plan with this toy example that I am working on.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

On 9:59 PM , janani said...

Can't comment about your optimizations since I know squat about it :-)

"capsicum-potato-aloo-murungakai sambhar" sounds good :-) I never seem to have the patience to cut all these veggies to make sambhar. I always end up making biriyani if so many veggies are available :-)

 
On 10:22 PM , kaushik said...

hey!
i see the redundancy potato-aloo
it should read potato-vengaayam....

Welcome to the life of a PhD (in a non CS department). All I have is plenty of time....

 
On 5:14 AM , KC! said...

*aversion* en ippadi ellam arivalinga naatla irundhu engalai avamana paduthareenga? *hatred hatred hatred* ;)

 
On 12:25 AM , kaushik said...

usha,

arivu irunda, problem solve pannirpen. I am just the coder. My adviser is the one who comes up with the ideas.

I am also just the typer, who periodically types reports.